Sunday, May 8, 2011

Found a solution to the flats issue on the QHY-9

Referring earlier on in my blog history regarding problems with flats on my new QHY-9 OSC CCD camera - I believe I have found a viable solution. 

Reference to what I'm about to discuss can be found in these links:

Flats discussion 1

Flats discussion 2

Why this works, I don't quite understand fully yet, but here it goes.  I put a grey t-shirt over the objective.  Check out the results in this sample flat, and a quick image that I tested the flats against:


This is a stack of 5 second flats, just like before.  If you notice, the colors are not seperated by huge gaps and spread across the whole dynamic range like before with twilight or the white tshirt method.  Strange.
Here's the one image I calibrated with these flats:


I don't know why it worked, but it did.  More to follow after additional testing.

No comments: